Print

Vimeo v. YouTube Battle Royale!

on 03 May 2009.

Both Vimeo and YouTube now offer HD embeds. YouTube's HD embeds are free and Vimeo's cost $60 a year, via their Vimeo PLUS service (Vimeo is otherwise free and has HD delivery on their Website for non-PLUS members). Now I love Vimeo and prefer it to YouTube for many, many reasons, primarily because it is not overrun by foul-mouthed teenage boys and because it's a lot easier to find quality, original content. YouTube is almost completely swamped by people reposting music videos and other unoriginal, copyrighted crap they recorded from television and - quite frankly - if I wanted to watch more television, well, then I would go turn on the TV. So I love the Vimeo community and I love the fact that I can see amazing original content from talented creative people just like you. YouTube's upload time was faster, but the encode times were about the same. I like that I can pick any thumbnail on Vimeo (or upload my own, which I have done here) and I like Vimeo's customizable player better (and the lack of a YouTube overlay bug). Vimeo also has better privacy options and control. Plus, I feel really good about supporting Vimeo with my $60 and while I sure do hope YouTube figures out how to make money some day (because if they can't figure it out, we are all lost), I have no affection for YouTube. But let's get to the real issue:

Which is better: (1) Vimeo or (2) YouTube? (make sure you click the HD option on the YouTube clip)

(Both of the following videos are encoded from the same source file.)

Add comment

Security code
Refresh